Thursday, May 26, 2011

3 NEW GUESTS

Attention passengers… it is 8:30 AM local time. Welcome to Johannesberg South Africa. The weather today in is 12 degrees and cloudy. We hope you enjoyed your flight the pilot said with a warm South African accent.  Even though I was totally exhausted from the trip,  it would have been impossible to get the grin off my  face now,  even with a belt sander.  Months of planning and dreaming were finally coming to end, not to mention the abuse of very long 16 hour flight. It felt like on touchdown as the pilot applied pressure to jets breaks, he was at the same time somehow stepping on the accelerator to my central nervous system.   My wife Di and I were finally on the Dark Continent again…THANK GOD!
We would be spending the next 2 weeks with Frikkie du Tiot and his family on their ranch near the town of Tosca in the NW province of South Africa.  The entire du Tiot family was there to greet us…Frikkie our  P.H. or professional  hunter,   his lovely wife Natasha, and their three children Frikkie Junior who instantly became FJ to me,   their daughter Xanthe who is incredibly cute, bright and funny, and the newest addition to their family two week old Johanco.
Our gear and guns were loaded into the small the trailer towed behind their Toyota Fortuner and we were on our way for a 300 KM drive to the ranch. On the way we all got to know each better.  Frikkie informed us that he had a special surprise waiting for us. He had purchased 3 giraffes and we should arrive at the ranch just ahead of the delivery truck.  Sure enough, just a few kilometers before we reached  the ranch we passed the 3 newest residents to be.   As soon as we pulled into the ranch, Di dug out our camera and everybody climbed aboard the safari truck…with the kids, Di, and I in back and the tractor and trailer and the 3 new guests in tow. While Frikkie and his staff checked the animals and administered shots Xanthe and I decided to name the giraffes.  She chose Spotty and Lady for the girls.  For the male I suggested Diesel after my favorite football player Brett Kiesel of the Pittsburgh Steelers. With the cutest grin, Xanthe looked up at me and said  YES Diesel !
The doors of the trailer slid open and three giants of Africa bolted for freedom.  We had been on the ranch only minutes and we had already experienced something few Americans will ever see.  As we made our way back to lodge a sense of calm and peace poured over me as I thought to myself…This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime.

Freedom

Lady, Diesel, & Spotty
Frikkie, FJ holding Johanco, Xanthe, & Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment