Sunday, May 29, 2011

HAPPY 15TH...SOUTH AFRICAN STYLE

My wife and I had decided that our safari would be our 15th Anniversary present to each other. The day before our anniversary Frikkie asked me if I had any thing special planned. I sadly had to reply no just a sappy card. He then explained that he and Natasha had a special treat for us the next morning. I was up bright and early as usual to watch the sun rise. Frikkie and Esok were busy preparing the surprise. They had already made several trips into the bush  by the time Di had begun to stir from her slumber.  My wife had a surprise of her own wating for me when I entered our chalet. She had a produced a video on our laptop of family members wishing us Happy Anniversary mixed with photos of our wedding. It was so thoughtful and touching that it brought tears to my eyes. Back to the story at hand. We loaded our gear as usual into the Land Cruiser and headed into the bush. This morning we seemed to going much faster than usaul. Most of the time in mornings you drive at a very slow pace looking for tracks and animals but now we were flat out hauling tail. We arrived at a blind used for archery hunting overlooking a waterhole. A waterhole ruled and pretty much owned by a cape buffalo bull Frikkie called Big John. When Big John wants a drink all other animals on the ranch, other than maybe the rhino, make room for him. Frikkie told Di to check out the inside of the blind and gave me the cat that swallowed the canary grin. When we stepped inside the blind to a Five Star champagne breakfast, including a very nice card and a gift of beautiful African wild life themed placemats. My wife and I spent the most of the morning alone in the blind, relaxing while sipping champagne, eating, watching animals and birds visit the waterhole, and remembering our wedding day 15 years ago. How she has been able to put up with me that long is still one of mandkinds greatest mysteries. To Frikkie and Natasha, we must say a very heartfelt THANK YOU for giving us an anniversary we will NEVER FORGET! 
The blind

Five Star Breakfast

Big John

No comments:

Post a Comment