Sunday, June 26, 2011

GOT YOUR BACK JACK!

Frikkie with the big double gun

Frikkie du Toit...a big man with a big heart who carries a big gun...and in Africa you better know how to use it. The first time I met Frikkie was at the Harrisburg Sports Show several years ago. My wife and I had decided that we wanted to research a possible second safari to Africa. Di had given me the green light to start looking, so I was on a mission. We talked to almost every African Outfitter at the show. Some had impressive mounts and flashy booths with videos blastings away. Frikkie had a little more simple but effective set up. It turned out he had all that he needed, at least for me..a booth, a banner, pictures, a nice brochure, and his personality.  As we talked about the game, the location of his camp, the climate, and everything that goes with getting to know a little bit about the professional hunter and how he runs his operation, he simply came across as an honest straight shooter with a great sense of humor. On the long ride home Di & I talked about all the professional hunters we visited with. We both agreed the really nice guy with the odd name seemed to be the best. Several years passed until we made our next visit to Harrisburg. The next time we went I made a bee-line to Frikkie's booth as soon as the doors opened. This time we were serious as we asked him to give us a quote on a hunt and photo safari to Kruger Park. Later that year we decided to book our safari. We again went to Harrisburg to visit Frikkie and go over some questions we had.  That evening Frikkie invited us to join him at the African Outfitter's Super Bowl Party. Watching NFL football with rugby fans was a riot. They only cared about the score at the end of each quarter because they could win a little money on box/score wagers they all were in on. During the evening I noticed how almost every outfitter made it a point to say hello to Frikkie. You could see on their faces that they had a lot of respect for him too. Even the staff at the hotel knew him and seemed to honestly like him. The party later spilled into the bar.
FYI: Do not try to stand at the bar and drink one for one with professional hunters. They will crush you! Last year...we went the Saturday before the Super Bowl. Learned my lesson the year before. The final plans and payments were made...Look out Africa here we come! When you are headed half way around the world with your wife, a good and trusted PH is a must. After all, it is his job to keep your sorry American butts alive. I had checked references and felt very confident we would be in good hands. When you spend a week with a guy in the bush then another week with him in the car you get to know each other. My image of Frikkie is a loving husband and father with great respect for god and for Africa and her animals. He lives for Blue Bulls Rugby and the thrill of the hunt. One evening, after dinner, over a few cocktails the conversation turned to the dangers of his job. As policeman, as a soldier, and as professional hunter, he has faced potential death from man and beast many times with the scars to prove it. He is a man who has faced gun fire and the charging fury of buffalo, rhino, elephant, lion, and leopard, just to name a few. He has seen the icy cold gaze of death eye to eye on more than one occassion. If push came to shove in the bush, I can say with out a doubt, that I knew Frikkie had my back, not because it was his job to do so, but because he cared. In a fight, if I got to pick two men to go with me that would have my back no matter what,  I would take my brother Jim and Frikkie du Toit. I did get to shoot his "big guns" too. Let's just say the recoil got my attention.

Loving Father & Husband
Respect for Africa and her animals

Learn more about Frikkie:
http://www.africabig5.co.za/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment